Draw or paint in a professional art studio
environment with expert tuition and lighting,
and a variety of models. All levels welcome.
Art Classes • Frequently
Asked Questions • Find us
Judith's drawing before attending classes
Judith's drawing after attending classes
Classes Running (last updated: 03/03/17) Also scroll down to Frequently Asked Questions.
- NEW Monday EVENING Life Drawing Class 7-9pm
- The format will be a series of short poses for half an hour followed by a long pose for the remainder of the session. For more information please scroll down to Frequently Asked Questions below.
- £14 session / students
- Wednesday MORNING Life Class (Drawing and Painting) 10am -1pm
- In this class students are given time to resolve more ambitious
drawings or paintings. They will receive individually tailored
and focused tuition, to suit their needs and goals. In order that
students can apply sophisticated and advanced techniques, the
model will often take up the same pose for the whole of the session,
and return to that pose in subsequent weeks for a total of up
to five sessions or 15 hours. For more information, please scroll down to
Frequently Asked Questions below.
- £200 per ten week term or £25 session / students
- Wednesday EVENING Portrait Class 7-9pm
- This art class is geared to giving students an opportunity to
draw the face. We use a different model every week, and the model
is clothed and undertakes the same pose for two hours with three
short breaks. This format allows for the creation of a more resolved
drawing, and the use of colour. For more information, please scroll down to
Frequently Asked Questions below.
- £100 per ten week term* or £14 session / students
- All Day Painting Class MONDAYS 9.30-4.30pm, Monthly.
- Mondays, March 27th, April 24th, May 22nd, June 26th and July 17th
- This class provides the opportunity to work from the model for
a sustained period of time and is suitable for painters and those
wanting to make larger or more detailed drawings. The model takes
up the same pose all day. Individual tuition is provided in colour
mixing, mark making, and composition, as well as the basics of
proportion and perspective.
- £50 Booking advised
- All Day Life Drawing Classes SATURDAYS 10am-4.00pm. Monthly.
- March 11th, April 8th, May 13th, June 10th, July 8th. (Second Saturday of each month).
- The Saturday Life Drawing classes will involve a variety of poses.. Please enquire for details and booking.
- £50 per class Booking advised
Back to top
Bridget 's drawing before attending classes
Bridget's drawing after attending classes
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can anyone attend the classes?
- The classes are for all levels of ability so you are most welcome
to attend them. Beginners are welcome.
- Do I have to bring my own materials?
- In terms of materials, I provide easels, boards, clips, pencils,
charcoal, charcoal pencils and rubbers for free. There is a small
price for paper to deter wastefulness. It is cost price. I have
white cartridge, and a heavier grey sugar paper, and both cost
20p per A2 sheet..
- Are there any spaces on the course?
- The Wednesday classes run on a 'drop in' basis, meaning you can just turn
up and 'drop in.' No advance booking is required. It is advised
that you arrive a few minutes early just in case the class is
exceptionally busy, as places are allocated on a 'first come,
first served,' basis, at each class. Booking is advised only for the All Day Classes.
- Can I drop in or do I have to pay for a term?
- You do not have to pay for a whole term to attend the classes.
You can pay per class you attend. You are welcome to drop in when
you can, or to attend every class. Either way, each time you come
I will pick up with you where you left off. Everyone develops
at different rates and with different strengths, and so I tutor
each student separately, working on their individual requirements.
- How many people attend the classes?
- The space will comfortably accommodate about 10 or twelve students,
and I find this to be the optimum class size. It enables me to
give everyone an appropriate level of tuition (an average of 5
or 6 minutes an hour in a full class) especially as some people
prefer not to receive tuition when they are working, and on different
days some students require more time than others.
- Where can I park?
- Madalen Road Studios has Free Parking spaces in front of the
Back to top
Andrew 's drawing before attending classes
Andrew's drawing after attending classes
I will provide you with specialist tuition that will give you
a fresh outlook on drawing. We will loosely divide the subject into
three topics which we will approach separately. These topics are
Line, Tone and Fine Detail. Each topic has its own function.
Linear drawing: the function
of the line is to position or place the drawing. I will give you
three new ways of seeing that will help you to render the positioning
and proportions of what you see more accurately. We will also look
at new ways of holding the pencil (or charcoal etc) and how to compose
a drawing so that it fits on the sheet.
Tonal Drawing: tone is used to create the illusion
of three dimensions in a drawing. You will develop your spatial
understanding by looking at methods of layering tone, and by learning
how different ways of making marks influence the creation of that
Fine Detail: This aspect of drawing involves creating
a sense of texture and depth in your work. It is a fusion of the
two previous topics. Accurate placement, skilful mark- making, and
an awareness of aerial perspective are used to create a sense of
texture, emphasis, and depth, in the drawing.
Colour: Using the practical application of basic
colour theory as a foundation, we will look at ways of mixing with
either pastels or paint to enable you to tackle any subject in colour.
Looking for a life model?
If you are looking for a Art Nude Male Life Model in the Oxford
and surrounding area who is experienced, professional, reliable
and always easy to work with, then I can recommend using Simon on 07837457094 www.lifemodelcotswolds.co.uk
Back to top
Magdalen Road Studios
74 Magdalen Road
(Between Cowley and Iffley Roads)
Call Francis on 07740 779 457 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Francis is the best teacher I have ever found.
A L, retired designer.
You learn so much more here.
A R, student, Oxford.
I loved your class last week. You are a calm and inspirational
I just wanted to say a big thanks for class last night, my
mum was really nervous but had an amazing time and really enjoyed
it, she was singing your praises all the way home!
I will always remember your classes. You inspire me to continue
and develop in the future
Thank you for being a great teacher. I'm back in Australia
now but I would like to let you know that the time spent in your
studio was very helpful and enjoyable.
Francis is a very patient competent teacher who generously
shares his knowledge and ability with all his students
JW, Oxford Summer School feedback
I can actually draw now! Francis is an amazing teacher and
I may come back next year to retake the class because I enjoyed
it so much
SH, student 16 years old, OSS
...excellently organised and taught. We are lucky to have
PY 78 years old, OSS
Excellent teacher in Francis whose enthusiasm, patience and
encouragement was inspirational. I learnt a lot
DO, at OSS
When I came back home that night I couldn't stop sketching…
Moreover, something very positive about this studio, or people,
makes me feel like I can breathe (not that normally I don't, but
it's one of those experiences when you sit for a very long time
in a stuffy room with the computer, and at some point you leave
to the garden. Only then, when you look at the endless sky and
take a deep breath of clear air, you know that the room was stuffy
and the computer makes you sick)
KR, student, Oxford.
Last night was my fourth time… I loved it. The hours
flew by, and I'd find myself totally absorbed as I focused on
the light and dark, the shapes, and the satisfaction of channelling
what was in front of me into a picture that was in some way beautiful
E B, emilyintheworld.wordpress.com